Established by the Alumni Association in 1984, the Extern Program provides students with professional experience in their chosen career fields. Each year, over 150 SIU students complete externships throughout the U.S. Students are matched with SIU alumni and friends during Spring Break. They apply skills learned in the classroom in a professional work environment. The program is individualized and enhances the student's education.
To participate in the Extern Program, students must:
- Meet the 2.75 GPA requirement
- Be an undergraduate with at least 56 hours of credit
- Be enrolled full-time at SIU for both Fall and Spring semesters
- Satisfy an extensive application process
- Complete a screening interview
- Participate in a JobBound workshop
- Contact the sponsor prior to the externship
- Attend the Extern Ceremony upon returning to campus
The Office of Major Scholarship Advisement (OMSA) provides advising and application assistance for all UHP students interested in pursuing major nationally competitive scholarships and fellowships.
UHP is committed to enabling our best and brightest to reach their utmost potential. Students from all academic disciplines said that the UHP has been the highlight of their academic careers.
We hope you will consider making a tax-deductible contribution and “invest in excellence” at SIU. More information about contributing can be found here.